Every woman wants the perfect little black dress . In fact, most wardrobes could accommodate more than one. However, despite the array of black dresses on the market, it can be a challenge for a plus size woman to find a dress that flatters. We provide some tips for finding your perfect dress and share some of the best current retail offerings.
Cut, Fit and Quality
No dress can be deemed perfect if it does not fit well. Consider the following to ensure you have the right cut and fit.
- Make sure you understand your body shape so you can choose a style that accentuates your best features.
- Buy your correct size – a dress that is baggy is as unattractive as one that is too small and pulls or looks tight.
- Getting the right length is key. A too short skirt can look inappropriate and a skirt that is just a little below the knee can look frumpy. For longer skirts, go for the full maxi or hit mid-calf. A skirt that is hemmed 1-2 inches above the knee works on nearly everyone, however.
- Choose great fabrics! A beautiful fabric will drape your figure beautifully, where a thin, inexpensive cloth may cling to every bump or lump in your figure. Also, look for lined garments to avoid items looking see-through.
- Don’t go too bare for your body. While cutouts, strapless styles and deep v-necklines can work on some women, they do not flatter everyone. While you don’t have to cover up from head to toe, many who wear women’s sizes prefer a dress with a little sleeve or a less revealing neckline.
- Wear good undergarments – a well-fitting bra, a slip and a shaper garment can make your dress glide over your body in the best way possible.
Know Your Occasions
You may be shopping for a dress for a particular occasion, or you may just want the perfect dress at the ready in your closet. Either way, it is important to know your style and the types of places you’ll want to wear your dress.
A simple dress can be used for more occasions than one that is heavily ornamented. Fabrics such as satin, chiffon, velvet and lace tend to be worn for more formal events or for holidays, while heavy elegant silks and smooth woven fabrics such as a lovely gabardine or even a heavy-weight, high-quality jersey are more versatile.
You can always dress up a plain black dress with accessories. Jewelry adds sparkle, a pretty belt can emphasize or create a waist, and a shrug or shawl can add a focal point as well as warmth.
Some Great Black Dresses!
The Daniela dress from Igigi (shown above) is one of our new favorites. Made of a heavy knit jersey, it is forgiving without appearing to overstretch. The fabric drapes nicely over generous curves and is a steal at $98. It also comes in several other colors, so you may find you want more than one.
Adrianna Papell currently has a pleated sheath dress that has a mock wrap and a tapered waist giving the illusion of an hourglass figure to even those without one. Note that previous customers have suggested it runs large, so no need to order up a size.
This Taylor fit and flare dress is ideal for a multitude of occasions. The flirty, flared skirt is feminine while gliding over even larger hips. The short sleeves and bateau neck provide coverage without appearing staid.
Kiyonna has a ruffled wrap dress to bring out the happy in almost any woman. The front flounces add a fun feel without making the dress look too juvenile.
Monif C’s Marilyn convertible dress is currently available in black and white stripes and is sometimes in stock in black. While this dress requires a learning curve to wrap the top of the dress into all the possible styles, it has the advantage of giving you multiple dresses in one. Make sure you watch their youtube video for instructions and tips on wrapping it!
Do you have a favorite plus size black dress you’d like to recommend?
Please note that Igigi provided a dress for review but that all comments are based on our honest editorial staff feedback, regardless of the source of the dress.