If you’re like many men, shoe shopping is a chore you’d rather avoid. Although shoe shopping with wide feet can be challenging, this guide to the best brands for wide men’s shoes should make the task a bit easier.
Getting the Perfect Fit
Shoe sizes are based on both the length and width of your feet, with a number indicating the length and a letter used to indicate width.
- Extra Narrow – AA (also called 2A)
- Narrow – B
- Average – D
- Wide – EE (also called 2E)
- Extra Wide – EEEE (also called 4E)
- Extra Extra Wide – EEEEEE (also called 6E)
How do you know if your shoes fit? You’re wearing the correct shoe size if the edges and bottoms of your feet are perfectly aligned with the footbed. If there’s a gap, your shoe is too big. If it’s pinching, it’s too small.
One common mistake men with wide feet often make is hoping that their shoe will stretch over time. Although some materials have more stretch than others, this approach isn’t recommended. Buying the right size in the beginning is the best way to keep your feet healthy. However, if your feet are between sizes, it’s recommended that you buy the larger size and use thick socks, insoles, or a different lacing pattern to get a tighter fit.
Shoe sizes can change over time due to aging or weight change, so it’s a good idea to get your feet measured periodically. This helps ensure a pain-free and supportive fit.
Casual Wide Width Shoes for Men
For casual everyday shoes, consider the following brands that routinely carry wides:
- Skechers: Skechers shoes labeled “relaxed fit” have a wider width and a slightly larger toe box for maximum comfort.
- Clarks: Stylish, comfortable, and slightly preppy, Clarks shoes are made using top quality materials for maximum durability.
- Sperry: These wide width and extended size boat shoes are a versatile staple for any man’s wardrobe.
- ECCO: Danish manufacturer ECCO has casual sneakers, as well as slip ons, boots, and sandals for men with wide feet.
- Scholl’s: You’ll find sandals, oxfords, slip-ons, and more in wide-fit styles from Dr. Scholl’s.
Athletic Wide Width Shoes for Men
Whether hitting the gym is a daily part of your routine or you just prefer a sporty look, check out the following:
- New Balance: Often recommended by podiatrists, New Balance shoes for men come in 2E, 4E, and 6E widths.
- Asics: Asics has one of the largest selections of 4E athletic shoes available.
- Fila: One of the most affordable wide width options for men, Fila has shoes for running, basketball, tennis, and more.
- Nike: Nike makes wide men’s shoes with more volume in the upper, but uses the same midsole and outsole as a regular width shoe. However, their extra wide men’s shoes have more volume in the upper forefoot area and also use a wider midsole and outsole than an average width shoe.
- Under Armour: They may be better known for their athletic apparel, but Under Armour also has a fairly large selection of wide width men’s athletic shoes. However, options are more limited if you need an extra wide (4E) shoe.
Formal Wide Width Shoes for Men
Men who need shoes to wear to the office will want to check out the following options:
- Nunn Bush: If you’re looking for wingtips, oxfords, loafers, and boots in both wide and extra wide sizes, Nunn Bush is sure to please.
- Stacy Adams: For the fashion conscious man who wants something beyond the basic dress shoe, Stacy Adams offers more variety in terms of color and style.
- L. Bean: This iconic brand carries both dress and casual wide width shoes for men, including options in extended sizes.
- Cole Haan: Although they’re more of a splurge than other wide width dress shoe brands, the classic styling on these men’s dress shoes makes them a worthwhile wardrobe investment.
- Croft and Barrow: For the man on a budget, Croft and Barrow shoes are comfortable, stylish, and affordable. Look for them exclusively at Kohls department stores.
Shopping Online for Wide Width Shoes
Ideally, the best way to buy wide width shoes is to try them on in a store. However, if you prefer to shop online, choose a retailer known for liberal return policies. For example:
- Shoe Carnival: Perfect for bargain savvy shoppers, this site is easy to search and offers several wide width men’s options. Sign up for their newsletter for access to money saving coupons.
- Casual Male XL: If you’re a man who also wears big and tall clothing sizes, this site lets you buy a complete outfit with a just a few clicks.
- Zappos: Search for wide and extra wide men’s shoes by size, preferred style, color, and more.
- Famous Footwear: You can find wide, extra wide, and extra extra wide men’s shoes on the Famous Footwear website, with free in-store pickup and free in-store returns.
- DSW: Featuring shoes from popular brands such as Nike, New Balance, and Sketchers, the user-friendly DSW site offers a great wide men’s shoe selection, free shipping on orders of $35, and free returns to any store location.