A great pair of shoes can take your outfit to the next level, but finding stylish shoes that fit right can be a bit of a challenge if you’re a woman with wide feet. This guide will make the task easier by outlining some of the best brands for wide women’s shoes.
Getting the Perfect Fit
Finding the correct size shoes for your feet involves considering both the length and width. The length of your feet is represented by the number in your shoe size, but the width is represented with a letter. Women’s shoes come in four different widths, with medium being the default size sold in most stores.
- AA – Narrow
- B or M – Medium
- D – Wide
- EE – Extra Wide
Sizes can vary by manufacturer, but there is roughly .38″ difference in width between medium and wide width shoes. Extra wide width shoes are approximately .38″ wider than wide width shoes.
Ideally, you should measure the length and width of your feet at least once per year. Shoe sizes can change over time due to weight gain, pregnancy, or the natural aging process. If you can see visible stretching or bulging on the outside of your shoes, this is a good indication that you might need a wide or extra wide shoe.
Casual Wide Width Shoes for Women
For casual everyday shoes, consider the following options. These brands routinely make wide width shoes for women :
- Birkenstocks: For summer sandals, Birkenstocks are a classic choice. The adjustable buckles let you create a perfect fit.
- Toms: Toms canvas slip ons come in a full range of colors and patterns.
- Keds: Keds offers preppy casual styles in neutral colors designed to go with almost anything in your closet.
- Skechers: Skechers makes sandals, slip ons, sneakers, and semi-dressy shoes at affordable prices.
- Clarks: Clarks has been making shoes since 1825 and is known for using top quality materials.
Athletic Wide Width Shoes for Women
Women who are in need of wide athletic shoes can switch to men’s styles to accommodate wider feet, since men’s shoes run wider to begin with. However, if you’d prefer styles made specifically for women, consider the following:
- Nike: The selection of styles and colors is a little more limited when you need wide or extra wide widths, but Nike remains a popular option for women’s athletic shoes.
- Puma: Puma athletic shoes come in wide styles that you’ll love to wear even on the days you’re not exercising.
- Asics: In addition to offering wide width shoes, Asics has models specifically designed to accommodate underpronation or overpronation.
- Brooks: Brooks running shoes are lightweight but supportive and come in a number of widths.
- New Balance: Often recommended by podiatrists, New Balance athletic shoes are stylish and comfortable.
Formal Wide Width Shoes for Women
Wide, yet stylish, high heels, loafers, and other formal shoe styles are available from the following brands:
- Michael Kors: Designer shoes aren’t out of reach just because you have wide feet. This brand has several formal styles in wide widths.
- Stuart Weitzman: For the shoe-obsessed, this brand has everything from everyday pumps to sexy stilettos and over-the-knee boots. Look for suede or soft leather styles to mold to your feet.
- Sam Edelman: This brand offers both classic and fashion forward formal shoes.
- Steve Madden: Steve Madden has affordable sandals, pumps, boots, and loafers in wide widths. Look for wider, stacked heels to offer comfortable support.
- Torrid: Plus size retailer Torrid offers affordable yet trendy heels, boots, and flats that are perfect for date night or a night on the town with friends.
Shopping Online for Wide Width Shoes
If you are shopping online for wide width shoes, consider the following retailers:
- 6PM: Perfect for bargain savvy shoppers, this site makes it easy to search for both wide and extra wide women’s shoes. Shipping is free when you order two or more pairs or spend a minimum of $50.
- Zappos: Designed to streamline your shoe shopping experience, Zappos lets you search for wide and extra wide women’s shoes by size and preferred style. Filter your choices even further by searching for specific colors, heel heights, or accents.
- Overstock: Find brand names like Skechers, Clarks, New Balance, and Asics at deeply discounted prices by browsing the wide width section of this popular website. An option to search for extra wide width shoes is also available.
- Famous Footwear: Browse an extensive selection of women’s wide width and extra wide shoes online, with free in-store pickup and free in-store returns to help you find the perfect fit.
- Nordstrom: This department store’s website has a section of its website devoted to women’s wide and extra wide width shoes, with popular brands such as Birkenstock, Sam Edelman, and Nike.