Lucky enough to have long legs? Dressing your tall figure is about more than just finding clothes that will fit. After all, you’re more than just your inseam and sleeve length. The key to fashion success is shopping at retailers who really understand how to show off your beautiful height to its best advantage.
Should You Wear a Tall Size?
In general, women over 5′ 9″ are considered “tall” by fashion retailers. However, every woman has her own unique proportions. You may find that you need a tall in pants but wear a regular size in tops, or you may have a long torso that calls for shirts and jackets in tall sizes.
If you regularly find that pants or sleeves are too short for you or that the waists of dresses are placed incorrectly for your frame, try on a few tall pieces. You’ll find that wearing these cuts will be both flattering and comfortable.
Five Best Retailers for Tall Sizes
Long Elegant Legs – Best place to find leggings and yoga pants
Although the name implies that they only offer bottoms, Long Elegant Legs has a great selection of everything from pants to tops and dresses. The styles are on-trend, so you won’t look dowdy in these clothes. All pants have a 36-inch inseam.
Most of the selection is casual, and there are lots of great options when it comes to leggings and yoga pants:
- Long Elegant Leggings – Available in four basic colors, these cotton leggings are great for wearing with tunics or shorter skirts. They retail for about $40 and come in sizes S through XXL.
- LEL Yoga Pant – Made from a nifty moisture-wicking fabric, these yoga pants work great at the gym and look cute for lounging. They come in gray or black in sizes S through XXL and retail for about $60.
Long Elegant Legs is an online-only store, but they offer free returns of unworn merchandise for up to 30 days after purchase. Shipping is affordable, and orders over $200 ship for free.
Long Tall Sally – Best place to find pants and skirts
One of the few tall clothing specialty stores with a few brick and mortar locations, Long Tall Sally offers a great selection of clothing items that are all specially designed to show off your taller figure. What’s more, the size range is spectacular: You’ll find inseams from 34 to 38 inches and sizes from 4 to 20.
When you’re shopping, check out the pants and skirts:
Essential Bootcut Suit Pant – Finding a bootcut pant that fits can be a challenge, but this pair is cute and functional. The polyester blend is easy to care for. These flattering pants come in black and retail for $85.
- Tribal Print Split Maxi Skirt – Soft and flowy and the perfect length for taller women, this 44-inch-long maxi can dress up or down for almost any occasion. The blue tribal print gives it a unique look. This skirt retails for about $100.
At Long Tall Sally, you can return unworn items within 30 days of purchase, either through the mail or through retail locations. Shipping prices are fair, and orders over $100 are eligible for free shipping.
Gap Tall – Best place for jeans and wardrobe staples
Although Gap is a retailer for standard sizes, they also have a great selection of clothing cut to flatter taller women. Jeans and pants have longer inseams, ranging from 34 inches to 37 inches depending on the style. Every aspect of the clothing, including knee placement, rise, shirt length, and sleeve length, has been adjusted to look great.
In particular, check out the options for jeans and casual basics:
- 1969 Always Skinny Jeans – Right on trend, these dark wash skinny jeans won’t leave your ankles exposed. They have a 35-inch inseam and come in sizes 4 through 16. They retail for about $70.
- Essential Rib Tank – Long enough to give you plenty of options for how you wear it, this basic tank is a wardrobe staple. It comes in four colors and sizes small through extra large. This basic piece retails for about $17.
Gap has lots of retail locations, but the best selection of tall sizes is online. You can make free returns in stores or through the mail if it’s within 45 days of the purchase. Shipping is free on orders over $50.
J. Crew – Best place for dresses and suits in tall sizes
Classy and timeless, J. Crew offers a great selection of tall fashions for women. In particular, you’ll find that the dresses and suits are worth a look. Inseams range from 33 to 37 inches, depending on the style, and all pieces are cut to fit every aspect of a tall figure.
You’ll love these gorgeous pieces:
- Tall Heidi Dress in Silk Chiffon – This pretty dress is ideal for special occasions, and it’s specially sized with a lower waist and longer skirt length. It comes in 15 different colors to suit any skin tone. Available in sizes 0 through 14, it retails for $250.
- Tall 1035 Jacket and Trouser in Super 120S – J. Crew is a great place to buy a suit, since you can purchase separate pieces for the ideal fit. The trouser has a 36-inch inseam, and the two-button jacket has a lower waist, longer length, and longer sleeves. Both come in sizes 2 through 14 and are available in four colors. The jacket retails for about $250, and the trousers are about $150.
J. Crew does have retail locations, but you’ll find the best selection of tall pieces online. Shipping is $5 for orders under $150, and free for orders over that amount. You can make free returns in stores or through the mail within 60 days.
Topshop Tall – Best for trendy pieces
Keeping your wardrobe up to date means buying a few trendy pieces each season. That can be hard for taller ladies, but Topshop has what you need. The British retailer specializes in the latest trends. Inseams on tall items are three inches longer than on standard pieces.
Try these fun items to bring a little extra style to your closet:
Tall Long-Sleeve Oversized Top – Long enough for taller women to pair with leggings, this deep red top a great way to rock the tunic trend. It’s available in sizes 4 through 12 and retails for $32.
- Tall Folk Border Chuck on Dress – This cool dress is baggy and perfect for layering, and it has an of-the-moment tribal print. A longer length and lower waist mean it will fit your taller frame. Available in sizes 4 through 12, it retails for $84.
Topshop has a few retail stores in the US, but the best selection of tall sizes is on the website. Shipping is free, and returns are accepted within 14 days of purchase.
Ann Taylor Tall – Best for work wear
Ann Taylor is the ultimate classic work wear resource with styles that look great on many different body types. Their tall collection is no exception, offering all your career looks with longer inseams, lower knee positioning, and longer sleeve lengths. Pants are available with a 36-inch inseam and in a wide variety of fits.
These options will help round out your work wardrobe:
Tall Signature Cotton Trousers – With a slimming flat front and modern straight leg, these comfortable relaxed pants look pretty and polished with a button-down blouse or cute jacket. They come in two colors and sizes 0 through 18, and they retail for about $80.
- Tall All-Season Stretch Seamed Sheath Dress – Perfect for the office or for cocktails after work, this simple black sheath will work harder than anything else in your wardrobe. Its longer length and lower waist make it flattering on a taller figure. Available in sizes 0 through 14, it retails for about $130.
You can find an Ann Taylor store in almost every shopping center, but few of them have the tall line in stock. Fortunately, shopping online is easy, and you can return any unworn item within 60 days of purchase. Shipping is reasonably priced, and orders over $150 ship for free.
Celebrate Your Height
You’re not limited in your options when it comes to tall fashions. There are beautiful looks out there for everything from career wear to casual pieces. Don’t settle for stores that just accommodate your taller frame; go for retailers who celebrate it.